Viv Higher Education, a Boston-based, woman-owned full-service marketing agency for colleges and universities, is seeking an experienced business development manager.
Reporting directly to the co-founder and CEO, this role will be tasked with building out and maturing the agency’s business development pipeline.
Critical functions include:
- Planning, developing, and analyzing weekly thought leadership content for email, social media, and website content
- Maturing and maintaining the agency’s Hubspot instance, including the development of prospective and existing client profiles, email lists, and dynamic email nurture campaigns
- Identifying conference and trade show opportunities, developing proposals for presentations and exhibits, and attending 3-5 conferences per year across the U.S.
- Planning of weekly team business development meetings, including ownership of the agenda and coordinating tasks and follow-ups across the larger agency team
- Recruiting, onboarding, and managing freelance talent to support the agency’s business development strategies
- Responding within 24 hours to inquiries for new business and responding to requests for proposals and other opportunities for new business through coordination of the team’s strategic discovery and preparation of high-quality proposals, as well as the coordination of proposal meetings and client onboarding activities
- Planning quarterly connection points with clients and the delivery of regular strategy snapshots to each client account via the involvement of the CEO
- Developing a business development playbook and possibly onboarding future business development team members based on a maturing and repeatable process
- Attendance of weekly team meetings and frequent synch-ups with the CEO and other leaders in the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, e.g. marketing, business, or communications. Will consider all majors as long as they have relevant experience or other compelling backgrounds
- 2-3 years of related experience, preferably in higher education or an agency setting
- Knowledge of the higher education sector, including stakeholder audiences and governance models is a big plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail orientation and the impeccable ability to set, manage against, and champion tight timelines
- A personality that enjoys meeting new people and helping them identify and champion their goals
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-changing environment
- Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection and the ability to conduct video calls in a quiet, professional setting
- We will consider candidates from all U.S. states, but due to the nature of this work and the opportunity for in-person meetings in the New England region, we are especially interested in candidates from the Northeast of the U.S.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $65-70k base salary plus spot bonuses based on a percentage of new revenue when successfully closing new business
- Opportunity to participate in quarterly profit sharing based on company performance
- Fully remote work environment with flexible hours outside of meetings
- 10 days vacation, 5 days of personal time, and 5 days of sick time
- All standard federal holidays + 3 flex days for non-federal holidays (e.g. MLK Day)
- 1 mental health day
- Birthdays off
- Winter recess between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 3-week sabbatical after 5 years of employment
- Health care reimbursement through company QSEHRA plan ($487.50/month for individuals and partners; $983.33/month for families with kids)
- 401k plan with 5% employer match (Viv’s contributions vest after 3 years of employment)
- 12-weeks of fully paid parental leave
- $1,000 tech stipend upon joining the team
Viv Higher Education is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and beyond. Our team and our work benefit from diverse perspectives, skill sets, and backgrounds. Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don’t apply unless they meet 100% of the job criteria. While we have worked to consolidate the minimum qualifications for each role, we aren’t looking for someone who checks each box on a page; we’re looking for active learners and people who care about higher education:
Our Ideal Colleagues Show:
- An openness to feedback and coaching.
- A high attention to detail.
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn to stay current on industry trends and tools, and about new trends and new business opportunities.
We’re proud to have built a positive and intentional workplace culture, in which people feel like they belong and can meet their full potential. We root this culture in strength-based management (watch our CEO Suzan Brinker discuss this in a recent LinkedIn video) and our shared values of integrity, curiosity, respect, excellence, harmony, and collaboration. It is also very important to us that our team members can lead full lives outside of work.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Business Development Manager” in the subject line. Please send us a resume and a cover letter. The cover letter should address similar experiences you have had at other organizations and why you think you would be a good fit specifically for our team, culture, and client base. You can learn more about our company at https://vivhied.com/